UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

My Mum parked in a council car park with ticket which unfortunately…

Customer Question
My Mum parked in a...
My Mum parked in a council car park with ticket which unfortunately fell off when she shut the car door. Was back within time stated only to find wheel clamp on. She called the company in question and they said it would cost 120 to release. She is a pensioner very upset, cannot afford it. They made her get cash out b4 they would release carr. Said she can get money back on appeal, but only 80.00 rest is for their admin! Is there a template for a letter I could send. I am so mad but want to sound official...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Traffic Law
6/19/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Are you sure this is a council fine? usually they don't clamp in those circumstances.

It will be on the information that she had. Its really important you get to the bottom of who is the issuer as that changes the whole conduct of matters.

Issued by a private clamping company based in Brighton, though I understood the Car Park was council owned previously...

You need to check that before you can progress this. You can call the council on Monday and find out if their traffic management order covers this area. They may be open tomorrow.

It sounds more like private land and if it is the options open up a bit more.

If this was a council car park then there should have been a PCN first. Private land clamping is easy to reclaim though.

Is this still open until I check with the council on Monday and if so how do I get back to you?

Yes, it doesn't close from your side. I don't know how its done because I never use the site from your side but customer services will tell you how to do it.

That said, it might be as simple as checking the papers that she got. There should have been a PCN and that should reveal the issuer.

Please note though that this will mean she will probably have to sue. There are no magic wands that cause them to settle. I can show you how to do that and its very often worth doing.

If I have answered your question please click on accept so that I can get feedback. I will continue to help.

Is there an easy draft letter or wording that I can use to write to them
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.