UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

I currently am trying to appeaal with a collections agency…

Customer Question
I currently am trying to...
I currently am trying to appeaal with a collections agency over parking fines. I have tried to argue the case at Northampton County Court but they just keep sending out of time appeal letters which is not relevant to the situation. I have asked the collections agency to accept £100 pere month to pay off the out standing amount of £750 but they constantly threaten me. If they take the car i use I cannot work so I can't get paid. I am the sole wage earner in my house and I feel I am being unfairly treated. Can I ask to appeal in a court room against this collections agency or do I have to be threatened in this way?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Traffic Law
6/15/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Please tell me that you haven't let this go to bailiffs?

Is there a charging order at northampton?

How many fines?

Yes this has gone to the bailiffs. I have been trying to fight these parking fines aas we had a parking dispensation to cover the actual time the vehicle was parked but the parking attendant did not chosse to take notice of them. When my son, who was using the car for work pointed them out to the attendants they said that they had already issues the tickets and could cancel them. This happened often, they cose to ignore the specially issued pparking dispensation forms. I have appealed and appealed but the council will not listen, they just keep sending out of time forms for the court. I wrote to Northampton but they just referred me back to the forms. No-one listens and this collctions company have bviously bought the fines and are trying to get this vastly in flated amount back. I just want to knw if I can appeal the amount that they are demanding I pay to be paid back in smaller portions. I am too tired and to keep fighting this. They threaten to have my dogs taken away by dog handler and to get into the house when my 78 year old mother is there alone. I am also on my own and I am terrified that they will take my car. I have absolutel nothing in my house of value at all. my tv's are old an obsolete so they wouldn't get any money for them and I own nothing else. I have not said I wont pay it all back I just need the re payments to be lower than they are demanding.

Could you just give me the information that I ask for ? We'll get to the bottom of the issues much faster if you don't give me information that doesn't make much difference.

So is there a charge certificate and how many fines are there?

Sorry.

there are 7 in total

OK. Thats bad I'm afraid. If you let fines get this far they get expensive.

Did you get all of the PCNs?

I am aware that it's a bad situation and I am aware that it is expensive that is why I am asking if you know if I can take this to court to appeal about the amout the collecions agency are demanding.

I have 2 of the PCN' s but I am waiting for the agency to supply the others

No, forget about all that.

Were they affixed to your car or sent to your address?

affixed to the car
OK. Did you get the notice to owners?

Is that the letter from the local council? If soo then yes that is when I appealed

And did they reject your appeals?

Yes
Did you get the charge certificate at northampton?
No I just got the letters from the council then they sold it on to the collections agency.
OK. did you appeal to the adjudicator?
I appealed to the council before it went to the court then I appealed to the court I did not appeal to the adjudicator as I wasn't advised to do this. I wrote on a number of occasions to the council.

In that case, I'm really sorry but you are liable for these sums.

I was hoping you had grounds to make a statutory declaration but you accept appealing and receving rejection letters and failed to appeal to the Adjudicator so there are no grounds.

If you fail to do that, they do pass this on to bailiffs. They will add their costs. They should be reasonable costs and you can ask the courts to consider whether the fees are reasonable.

But there's no way around that now I'm afraid.

This wasa not my original question. I have asked if I can take this to court to ask the collections/ bailiffs to accept a reasonable payment I have not refused to pay!
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.