UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I have a query regarding car allowances and salary

Customer Question
I have a query...

I have a query regarding car allowances and salary sacrificing

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am looking to salary package a vehicle including running costs and will use the car primarily for work. My employer has also offered to pay me a vehicle allowance that will be taxed. I am wondering whether I can do both or its one or the other?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Tax
4/3/2018
UK Tax Professional: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Dear Customer,

If your employer can do both, take both.

If just one over the other, it depends what type of car allowance they are thinking of and what type of car they are offering.

Generally speaking, having a company car is much more beneficial if the company also pays for the insurance [it should] and gives you a gas card and takes care of maintenance.

The part of personal driving could be included as part of your W-2 income. The amount is not much but may be required by the IRS.

Don't call either one salary sacrifice. They are employee benefits.

If you get a car allowance without reporting requirement, it is called non accountable plan. The employer will report on your W-2 as part of your income. You report your actual car expenses, mileage or actual expense method on your Schedule A, miscellaneous subject to 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Regards,

Fiona

Sorry I was of the inderstanding I was getting advice for the Australian tax system.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for pointing it out.

Ignore the Schedule A part. The rest of the advice still applies.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Vehicle-and-travel-expenses/Car-expenses/

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

in short I can salary sacrifice a car and its expenses and my work can pay me a car allowance as well? This will not affect my tax situation at all?

Dear Customer,

The situation will increase and likely increase your taxable income. But you get to deduct the business use part. Your actual wealth and benefits will increase, as well. It does not worth to bypass the great benefits.

Regards,

Fiona

No I dont get to claim the business use part!!! The tax benefits come by my work allowing me to salary sacrifice thus expenses coming out pre tax. What i need to know is can I receive a car allowance from them as well. Can you forward my query to a Australian accountant who understands the law here???
UK Tax Professional: Andy4712, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Andy4712
Andy4712, Attorney

Here is some info:

http://www.fleetfinancials.com/channel/vehicle-research/article/story/2014/06/company-vehicle-or-reimbursement-tips-on-setting-fleet-policy.aspx

This information does not help me at all. I am starting to get frustrated that I have paid 70 dollars for professional advice they noone can seem to answer and just referring me to websites i could and have googled in five minutes.
UK Tax Professional: bigduckontax, Accountant replied 4 months ago
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I assume we are referring to UK taxation, please confirm?