UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I am self-employed in the UK, and I do contract work for a…

Hi there. I am self-employed...
Hi there. I am self-employed in the UK, and I do contract work for a company based in the USA. I get paid in dollars for that contracted work on a per-month basis, based on what work I do & days worked has been done. I am not an employee.They recently sent me a large sum of money from the company, around £20k as a 'thank you', saying if they (as a company) continue to do well, this may become a yearly thing, if I'm still doing work for them.Is this sum classed as a 'gift' for HMRC, or would it be classed as income? Thanks very much!
1/18/2018
taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question...

This sum would be classed as income (equivalent to a bonus being given to an employee).

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

taxadvisor.uk

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.