UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I am the director of our non profit organisation and am not…

Hi I am the...

Hi I am the director of our non profit organisation and am not getting paid at the current date due to raising funds however I put in a lot of hours per week can I claim working tax credits along with my husband who is working and self-employed with his own business.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Yes I have a disability and we have a child of 14

1/2/2018
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Providing that between you you work over 24 hours a week and one of you over 16 of these then you can apply for working tax credits. The self-employed worker must be aiming to make a profit. You cannot get working tax credits if you live in an universal credit area in which case you must apply for Universal Credit. This latter benefit has a very poor reputation and endless delays in payments.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Hi thank you but the question was I am a director of a Limited by Guarantee company and cannot afford to take a salary. My husband works 16 hours employees and 16 hours self employed so we qualify for WTC I am working 16 hours alongside my non profit but am struggling with my foot as I have a disability and would like to give this up can I still get the disability elements if WTC as an unpaid director

You have to work 16 hours a week as disabled to be entitled to the benefit.

thank you I know this but would my work as a director count even though I am unpaid currently or should I hold on to my existing business please?

A director is an employee per se so your work in that capacity would count.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
bigduckontax
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant