UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I am trying to file my company accounts with companies house…

I am trying to file...
I am trying to file my company accounts with companies house for the accounting year 1st Feb 16 - 31st Jan 17. I have just discovered that the HMRC website is no longer allowing Abbreviated Accounts, and I presume I need to use the micro-entity (ME) accounts. I've copied the figures from last years form into the ME page, but it tells me "Shareholders' funds must be equal to the total net assets (liabilities)" The company has been non-trading since November 2014, hence, I presume, the figures for this year should be the same as for last year. Also, there doesn't seem to be a place for me to declare that the company is dormant.
10/2/2017
taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you.

Thank you for your question.

Please advise what type of accounts were filed last year.

You state the company has not traded since Nov 2014. Ipresume you filed a set of balance sheet that showed for year ended 31 Jan 2016 ........

Called up share capital not paid 200

Creditors amounts falling due within one year -3664

Total net assets -3464

Capital and reserves -3464

You should repeat the same numbers for year ended 31 Jan2017.

There is provision to file dormant company accounts using Companies House Website as shown on attached sheet.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions,please ask me before yourate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I can't use the dormant company accounts section because the company has traded in the past.Previous years I've used the CT600 form, but it appears that I cannot use this any more for abbreviated accounts. The most appropriate form for me therefore is the micro-entity accounts, and I've copied the figures across from the previous accounts (see attachment I sent), but the form won't accept it, I get the message "Shareholders' funds must be equal to the total net assets (liabilities)"I've attached the CT600 from last year (ignore the error, that's been fixed)

Thank you for your reply.

Just for clarification ... when you produced the abbreviated accounts for 2016 you showed under capital and reserves

called up share capital 200

profit and loss account -3864

shareholders' funds -3664

Top part of the balance sheet showed

creditors amounts falling due within one year -3664

This implies there was no entry for

called up share capital not paid

For consistency purposes the balance sheet for 2017 should read the same figures as 2016 as you have stated the company has been dormant for over a year.

When filing micro entry accounts for 2017 your entries would be

Total net assets -3664

Capital and reserves -3664 made up of

called up share capital 200

profit and loss account -3864

shareholders' funds -3664

taxadvisor.uk