UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

Are Union Dues Tax Deductible? I have just been asked

Customer Question
specifically about EIS and Unite...
Are Union Dues Tax Deductible? I have just been asked specifically about EIS and Unite? The .Gov.uk site is unavailable just now - so I wondered if you would confirm please- I don't think they are but thought I should double check. Thanks, CAS
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2017
UK Tax Professional: LEV, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
LEV
LEV, Tax Advisor

Deductible under some conditions.
That expense is going under "Professional fees and subscriptions"

See here

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/professional-fees-and-subscriptions

You can reclaim tax on fees or subscriptions you pay to some approved professional organisations - but only if you must have membership to do your job or it’s helpful for your work.

You can’t claim tax back on fees or subscriptions you’ve paid to professional organisations not approved by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), or for:

• life membership subscriptions
  • fees or subscriptions you haven’t paid for yourself (for example, if your employer has paid for them)

Your organisation can tell you how much tax you’re allowed to claim back.

Questions?

These are Union Dues deducted from employees' pay- I suspect the Union Dues are not deductible because they are not "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for the purposes of performing the work of their professions. I was just looking for confirmation of this? Educational Institute of Scotland (J) and J=journal is listed and Unite is not listed on the link you sent- so am I correct in my understanding? CAS

That makes NO difference HOW Union Dues are paid - either deducted from employees' pay or paid directly.
The quantification for that expense could be either (1) you must be a member and pay due OR (2) being a member is helpful for your work.

Another qualification is that your Union should be approved by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - and the Union itself can tell you how much tax you’re allowed to claim back if any.

LEV
LEV
LEV, Tax Advisor