Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I'm a PAYE employee working away from home at a distance too

Customer Question

I'm a PAYE employee working away from home at a distance too far to commute. My employer does not provide accommodation or expenses for accommodation (or any travel expenses).
There are no equivalent jobs in my area so I have little choice. Question is can I claim any allowance against tax for this . I have had conflicting advice
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Sam here, one of the UK Tax Experts here on Just Answer, Thank you for your question - I shall reply shortly.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

HI

Thanks for your patience

Did you take this job knowing where it was located - or did the employer relocate after you had commenced employment

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I knew where it was located but there were no alternative jobs on offer
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

Hi

Then I am sorry there are no allowable business/employment expenses to claim as you took the job knowing how far it was to travel so the costs are yours to bear I am afraid for both travel and accommodation

Only costs borne for you to actually perform your duties are allowable, for example your employer sends you to another part of the UK to meet with a client or for a business meeting, and its 180 miles away and they agree to cover your mileage and a hotel stay overnight - if they did not cover this cost - then you could claim this as your undertook this trip for the sole purpose to carry out a duty your employer needed you to perform. so all the time away is for the employer

But going to and from work just merely puts you were you need to be so you can start performing those duties but not incurred through the duties themselves and that is why you cannot claim the costs

I'm sorry the news is not better

Let me know if I can provide any further assistance

Thanks