bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I run a small Limited company, which I recently

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I run a small Limited company, which I recently incorporated. I have an American company client (the first one), who ask me to fill in a W-8BEN form.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: They asked me for my foreign tax identification number. Is that my company's number?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No. I just don't know what is considered my company's foreign tax identification number.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The first instruction on the W-8BEN tells you not to complete the form if you are not an individual. A company is not an individual so the form cannot be completed. You should advise the US company to that effect. In any event your company is not liable to US taxation.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Keith,
They have actually asked me to complete W-8BEN-E, which I believe is for companies, not individuals. What is a Limited company's foreign tax number?