How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4087
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently filling in a tax return. My wife and I have

Customer Question

I am currently filling in a tax return. My wife and I have been living in the Czech Republc during the last tax year. We have both been employees during this tax year. Under the foreign income section - is that applicable to us? Do we need to put our czech income ( salaries) as well?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Firstly, when you left the UK did you both complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately and you will find dealing with that Department much easier. Fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident and your Czech earnings not subject to UK taxation and should not be declared on your self assessment tax return.

Once declared as non residents you may spend up to 91 days in the UK in any one tax year without infringing your non resident status.

I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.