Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Are you familiar with the UK system?? I am currently on ESA

Customer Question

Are you familiar with the UK system?
JA: No. I'm the accountant's Assistant.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I am currently on ESA due my ill health. I want to start trading under a ltd company but i won't be able to work full time due to my health. Will I be able to claim working tax credits?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the accountant should know?
Customer: I know I would be entitled to WTC if I was employed for more than 16 hours a week due to my health conditions but I don't know how to go about this as the sole director of a company
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You can claim the Working Tax Credit if you meet the requirements.

The following links contain information about the requirements and how to claim the credit:

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/how-to-claim

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I've read those and I understand all that was written it seems to be aimed at those who are employed or self employed. I am the only director/shareholder of a start up company. I haven't began to trade yet as I'm in the early stages. I won't be working full time due to my health and satisfy the conditions regarding health under the WTC rules. What I don't know however are the stipulations tgat are set for me as the director. Am I to be employed by my company? In the early stages I won't be able to take a wage as I won't be making enough profit to do so?
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know and I will assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb