How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4200
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] - Our children earn money from TV work. Can

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Our children earn money from TV work. Can they gift some of their income to us? We get child tax credits and as far as I can find out, you don't have to declare cash gifts, only the interest you get on the gift. Is this correct? The gifts from them are irregular and different amounts, does this make a difference?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes, they can, but whether that is ethical is a moot point and outside the scope of this answer.

You are correct in your surmise regarding tax credits, it is only your income which is taken into account in assessing these benefits, not gifts which need not be declared for either Tax Credits or Income Tax purposes.

I do hope that I have set your mind at rest on this matter..