How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4972
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own the 2 bedroom flat that I live in and am thinking of

Customer Question

Hi I own the 2 bedroom flat that I live in and am thinking of asking my girlfriend to move in with me
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: UK
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: When she moves in, I am going to split all bills and the monthly mortgage payment between us equally
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: So I want to know if I need to declare this income for tax and any further steps I should take to protect myself should we split up etc
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert: replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Expert: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question..

From information given, it appears she would be making a contribution towards the running costs of the property. This is a private arrangement and is out of scope of income tax. You don't have to declare it on your tax return.

As far as having share of ownership of the property, it would be advisable for you to draw an agreement that clearly stipulates that your girlfriend would have no right to the property in the event of a split.

I hope this ishelpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Expert: replied 8 months ago.

The above is my answer .