How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15946
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just checking if we can find out corporation tax

Customer Question

I was just checking if we can find out corporation tax someone hasn't paid 5 years ago
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: More ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No I just wanted to check if there is a way to find out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


Can you elaborate on your question please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThere was a public limited accounts filed. Can't remember if we have paid tax before on this . Is there any way to find out if we have paid corporation tax on this. It's five years ago and the company has dissolved already.
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


If I were you, I'd call the number here and ask HMRC for the information you need. At the very least, you will have to go through a security check to ensure that you were associated with the company by telling HMRC who you are, what your relationship to the company was, its business or registered office address and its tax reference number (UTR). When you ask HMRC to delve into history, albeit only five years ago, more often than not you don't get what you want. HMRC may ask you to write to them and if they need to, they will do an archive search. They will ask why you want to know.

When a company is dissolved, HMRC seem to lose interest very quickly these days, not least because they don't have the staffing levels they used to. If there was corporation tax unpaid, they would have made an effort to get it paid but as I don't know what was going on with this company five years ago and how easily a director or representative could be contacted, its impossible to say how much effort was made. You appear not to remember what went on and if you tell HMRC that, they might just say that its water under the bridge and they have no record of an outstanding tax liability for the company.

If the company had an accountant, its name may still be on that firm's HMRC client list and they may be able to look up past accounting periods for you to see what tax if any was paid. That's a long shot but worth a try.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.