UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

In August 2011 to December 2011 I was introduced to a

Customer Question
Hello Tony, In August...
Hello Tony, In August 2011 to December 2011 I was introduced to a Company by the name of Sanzar Solutions, they paid my income tax for those months in 2011. However I have now been informed by HMRC that I am owing 12 months of Income tax as I have avoided paying the correct amount during that year under the umbrella of Tax Avoidance. When HMRC first wrote to me I ignored them believing that they had written to the wrong person, which I did tell them. However now they have informed me that they are putting a daily charge on the amount owing. I am not sure how to handle this as I have no knowedge of any such thing as tax avoidance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Tax
7/6/2016
UK Tax Professional: Tony Tax, Tax Consultant replied 1 year ago
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant

Hi.

Let me take a look at this and I'll get back to you.

Hi.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Nobody would have signed up for a scheme such as the Sanzar one unless they were told they would pay significantly less tax. I don't know the nitty gritty of how the schemes worked save to say that participating contractors were paid part of their wages in the form of a a loan, repayable on demand. The "clever" idea was that the "loan" would never be called in or written off, hence the tax saving. HMRC always catch up with these schemes. It's just a matter of time.

As a Sanzar contractor, you should have been offered the chance to take part in the Contractor Loans Settlement Opportunity on favourable terms which you can read about here and here. That opportunity is now gone I'm afraid. You might also read the notes here. As you appear to be in the dark on what you got involved in, you might take a look at the forum here which may provided you with some recommended advisers to represent you in any negotiation with HMRC. Frankly, no matter how good the adviser, HMRC have defeated the Sanzar scheme and you really ought to be looking to settle the case and move on.

I cannot recommend any particular tax investigation firm but there are many involved in this area so it's a matter of googling "Sanzar" and using the forum I gave you a link to to learn about the experience of others and what they are doing. It would appear that many are signing up with WTT BIG Group but I have to say I know nothing about them. Whoever you take advice from on this matter won't be inexpensive.

I'm sorry I cannot offer you any relief from the worry the HMRC demads will be causing but I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your comments, Tony. However, I am unable to open the links that you sent. It also seems that Sanzar have stopped trading but HMRC is still hounding me.
Tony Tax
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant