How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4094
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Motorhome rental business, my last accountant

Customer Question

I have a Motorhome rental business, my last accountant advised that I could get capital allowance against the purchase price, my new accountant has said I do not. Can you please advise
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have bought 2 additional motorhomes to help believing I would not have to pay corp tax but my accountant says I do
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Sorry typed help instead of hire
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My previous accountant deducted the cost of my previous motorhomes in my annual accounts and corp tax which was accepted by HMRC
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I a,m Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Provided it is rented out for more than 105 nights in a year then capital allowances are available. Unfortunately for you the vehicle is classed as a car so only writing down allowances at 18% are appropriate. You can write off the vehicle at 18% per annum on a reducing balance basis. The CA regime is the same for individuals or companies. The relevant Gov UK guidance can be found here:

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.