How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4973
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife & I own one house in England (the only property we

Customer Question

My wife & I own one house in England (the only property we own) but live with my father in his house as he requires help due to his age & disability. We have rented out our house for the last 5 years & informed & paid HMRC all required income tax. If we sell the property without living there again will we have to pay capital gains tax on the sale?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question..You may have to pay some CGT on sale.. before this is calculated,you will be entitled to relief against it as follows:- all period covered as main residence would be exempt because of private residence relief- the final 18 months of ownership would be exempt as it has been your main residence at some point during period of ownership- letting relief for period property is let (the maximum relief for this is £40k per owner) Once the above reliefs have been taken, you would claim gains annual allowance (£11,100 per owner current year) and the balance would be taxed at 10%, 20% or a combination of both depending on your total taxable income including the gain in the year.More information on private residence relief can be found on hs283 here I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking to see if I have addressed your points and/or you need further help/clarification. Many thanks