How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4198
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living and working here in Dubai since January

Customer Question

I have been living and working here in Dubai since January 2012. I was made redundant here last October and now have to move back to UK to find a job. I have savings here in the UAE which I want to transfer into my UK bank account. Will I have to pay UK tax on these earnings?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Nope not really
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Firstly, when you left the UK in 2012 did you fill in a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately; fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line.

After doing the P85 procedure you will be classified as non resident. On your return you advise HMRC of the position and they will re-classify you as resident for the tax year immediately following your date of return and, furthermore, split the return year into two portions, one non resident and the other resident.

You will not have to pay tax on the funds you propose to transfer, but if the sum is substantial you should warn your bank of the incoming funds and their source to head off any money laundering inquiries a large sum might attract.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.