How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15916
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Jo ***** ***** - Capital Gains Tax, I got a property on

Customer Question

Jo ***** ***** - Capital Gains Tax
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got a property on right to buy, I am trying to work out what Capital Gains tax I am liable for. I received a large discount when I purchased the property and lived there for many years before moving out and renting it out. Do I use the actual price paid or due to the discount use the market value when I purchased it???
JA: OK got it. Last thing — UK Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


You use the actual price paid for the property when you bought it when calculating your capital gain. There is information on the main residence and CGT here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.