UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

Could you help please. I run a business that i expect will…

Customer Question
Hi could you help please...
Hi could you help please. I run a business that i expect will be over the 82K vat threshold but half of my stock is bought from suppliers who are NOT VAT registered so i do not charge my customers vat on them items. The other half of my stock is from a supplier who IS VAT registered so i charge my customers vat on them items. Do i have to charge ALL of my customers vat if i go over the threshold this meaning i will loose out on 20% of the profits on items i buy from non registered vat suppliers? Or are the items i sell but do not charge vat exempt from paying HMRC as i do not charge vat myself for them. Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Tax
2/2/2016
UK Tax Professional: Tax Robin, Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Tax Robin
Tax Robin, Tax Preparer

Hello

If you are registered for VAT then you are to charge VAT.

VAT-registered businesses:

• must charge VAT on their goods or services
  • may reclaim any VAT they’ve paid on business-related goods or services

You must account for VAT on the full value of what you sell, even if you haven’t charged any VAT to the customer - whatever price you charge is treated as including VAT.

If you’ve paid more VAT than you’ve charged, you can reclaim the difference from HMRC.