How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15899
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having real difficulty filing my 2014 2015 tax return.

Customer Question

I am having real difficulty filing my 2014 2015 tax return. I keep getting redirected to another page. I notice on my home page that they are saying i am 'overdue' on my 2007 2008 tax return. This is the first I hav e heard of this i.e it has never appeared on my home page before and I have received no letters/notifiactions and I thought I had filed a return for that year. I no longer have records. What do i do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — UK Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


When did this problem manifest itself for the first time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday afternoon when I tried first to file my tax return
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


Can you give me the webpage address to which you are being redirected please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.

That's ludicrous. That's the page that tells you if there are technical problems and is aimed at anybody using an HMRC online service.

I'm not sure how much I can help you to be frank. I've never heard of anybody being stopped from completing a tax return for a recent year because one for an earlier year is outstanding. The fact is that you cannot submit a tax return as old as the 2007/08 tax return online as it is out of date so you would need to complete a paper one.

All I can suggest you do is to call the HMRC online services helpdesk in the morning on the number here. I suspect that there is some form of corruption in your online account which will only be able to be rectified by the online services technical staff. I've had situations where a client is not appearing on my client list even though I've done all I need to do. It usually takes 48 hours to get rectified.

As far as the old tax return is concerned, call the tax office on the number here and, if you had income subject to PAYE in that year, ask HMRC to give you the gross pay and tax details so that you can complete the tax return. If you didn't have income subject to PAYE in that year and, given that you have no records, tell HMRC and ask to speak to a supervisor for a suggested course of action. Alternatively, ignore it and wait to see if HMRC write to you about it.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

I found this on the login page here:

Look at the "Online Service Availability " section under "Important Information". There is some guidance there but as I've no experienced the problem I cannot tell you what to do other than to click on ""Hows my SSL"?

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.

Related UK Tax Questions