How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3814
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my friend buy a house? The cost is 350,000 pounds?

Customer Question

Can my friend buy a house for me? The cost is 350,000 pounds?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of he experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes he can! If he gifts it to you it creates a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in his Inheritance Tax (IGT) affairs. PETs run off over seven years at a taper and in the event of decease within this period are added back to the estate for IHT purposes. PETs are the first to suffer tax and if the estate is insufficient to met the liability it cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment. The classic defence against PETs is a reducing term life insurance policy.

I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.