How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3814
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am looking with disposal of EIS shares
, I disposed of

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there, am looking for help with disposal of EIS shares
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I disposed of some EIS eligible shares and received 50% cash and 50% in new, different shares I think I know how to declare the cash - via SA 101 online but can you advise re the additional shares I received? do I need to declare those somewhere?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — UK Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Here is the advice from Price Waterhouse Cooper on this subject:

'Deferral relief is available for gains arising on the disposal of any asset on or after 29 November 1994

(but see time limit for claims). It is obtained by reinvesting part or all of the gain (before taper

relief for gains after 5 April 1998 and prior to 6 April 2008) by subscribing for shares in an

EIS qualifying company.

 On making a claim, the relief will be given as a deferral of the chargeable gain, by matching it with

a subscription for eligible shares. As a result, the capital gain is deferred until these new shares are

disposed of, or in some cases, until the happening of an event which causes the relief to be withdrawn –

a chargeable event.

 Where appropriate, a claim for relief may be made in a reduced amount in order to utilise the benefit of

other reliefs, for example allowable losses and the annual exemption.'

Taper relief is, of course, long gone, compensated for by a reduction in the UK Capital. Gains Tax rates. These new shares need not be declared until a gain or loss is made on some future disposal. It might be a good idea to put a note in to the issue of these shares in the comments box at the end of the return.

I do hope tht you find my reply of assistance.