bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

A in the North Sea. That company is now saying that the Tax

Customer Question

A in the North Sea. That company is now saying that the Tax office is friend has attempted to ship me a package via Max Securities & Financial Group from a ship located near Aberdeen Scotland. The company now is saying that the Tax Office there is holding the package until payment of Non Resident of UK tax is paid. Is there such a tax?
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

It is normal for Customs to impose Import Duties, of which there are hundreds of different rates, and, in addition, VAT. The goods will remain in bond until these taxes or duties are paid. You need to contact the Aberdeen HMRC office on this matter. This taxation treatment on imports into the UK is perfectly normal. If the Aberdeen office know nothing about the matter then it is likely to be a scam.

I do hope that my reply has been o assistance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You double charged me for the one answer. I would like all my $90.00 refunded. Your answer talked about import tax. This doesn't answer my question

If you were double charged you must take the matter up with Just Answer administration to get the matter corrected.

I suggest that my answer was in fact correct. Customs may well not have charged Import Duty, they often do not, but almost certainly VAT. The fact that the package is in bond indicates that something is owing. There is no such tax as 'Non Resident of UK tax' which is why I warned you that the whole thing might be a scam. A telephone call to Customs will solve everything. Either there is a package in bond, all OK, or there is not, a scam.