How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax Robin Your Own Question
Tax Robin
Tax Robin, Tax Preparer
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15 years experience with H & R Block in International Tax Law
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tax Robin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you have any experience with DLA claims

Customer Question

Do you have any experience with DLA claims
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tax Robin replied 1 year ago.


I can offer you the basic information about DLA for children.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

The DLA rate is between £21.80 and £139.75 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs. The child may need an assessment to work out what help they need.

Usually, to qualify for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children the child must:

  • be under 16
  • need extra looking after or have walking difficulties
  • be in Great Britain, another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland when you claim - there are some exceptions, eg family members of the Armed Forces
  • have lived in Great Britain for 2 of the last 3 years, if over 3 years old
  • be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • not be subject to immigration control

You can claim DLA for a child as long as you look after them as if you’re their parent. ‘Parent’ includes step-parents, guardians, grandparents, foster-parents, and even older brothers or sisters.

DLA can’t be backdated. The date of your claim will usually be the date the form is received or the date you call the enquiry line.

It usually takes 40 working days to deal with a DLA claim.

If you have questions call the Disability Living Allowance helpline.

Disability Living Allowance
Telephone: 0345(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe that my son is anyway near the higher rate that was claimed by his mother.
I see him and his brother 47% of their time and obviously my time is included in the 35 hours care. As I believe this to be a fraudent claim can I with withdraw my support for almost half of his claim and get him reassessed?
Expert:  Tax Robin replied 1 year ago.

You can write and request a reassessment advising on your reason.

If the child under your care for more of the time you would have to be prepared to show your log of that time.

Disability Benefit Centre 4
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1BY

The above is the address to use. Or the call the number I supplied earlier.