How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15940
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gain my income in Malaysia, and as I have property in

Customer Question

I gain my income in Malaysia, and as I have property in Spain and spend a lot of my time there, I pay Spanish tax each year. Therefore, am I still restricted on the number of days I can spend in the UK?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.


Let me take a loom at that and I'll get back to you in a short while.

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

You might refer to RDR3 on the Statutory Residence Test here for the detailed rules on UK tax residency which came into force on 6 April 2013. A brief summary of the rules can be found here.

Assuming you are already treated as non-UK resident (did you complete a P85?), you need to work out the number of ties you have to the UK and that will tell you how many days you can spend in the UK from the links above in a full tax year. Most non-UK resident individuals look to spend less than 91 days in the UK in a full tax year.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.