UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

I am in dire straits. I am just under 20 K in debt. Im a

Customer Question
Hello. I am in dire...
Hello. I am in dire straits. I am just under 20 K in debt . Im a working single mum. I getvertually no Housing beneifit ..barely cover council tax. i pay 550 private rent. I am now forced to do a DRO . CAB have worked out that im 200 short before i even pay my credit cards of 300 per month. so over 3 years my debt has escalated dramatically because they reduced housing benefit due to overpayment. £ 5000 to be exact ..they mis calculated that i was working . I have always worked!. I currently get 97 tax credits which as you can imagina is a life saver. but I need to do somthing drastic .. I have a friend (male) who is also in a quandry . He suggested i move in with my daughter as a temporary measure to half costs. he is in no way connected to mine or my daughters maintenance. he works. Can i claim single tax credit claim. Im worried they wont allow it and want his wages taken to consideration. I dont think it is fair as we are not his responsibility. this idea is about survival
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Tax
11/13/2015
UK Tax Professional: bigduckontax, Accountant replied 2 years ago
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I suggest that moving in with your daughter would be a way of reducing your outgoings. You can claim working tax credits if you are entitled. There is no way in which your friend's income would be taken into account in your claim for tax credits.

I do hope my reply has been of assistance.

Please don't hesitate to follow up if you have more to ask.

bigduckontax
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant