UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

I am looking that can give me a tax MOT to bring me up to

Customer Question
Sam, i am looking for...
Sam, i am looking for someone that can give me a tax MOT to bring me up to date, given my MANY missed/uncompleted tax returns and failed business returns and accounts over the years are overwhelming me. I want to be able to bring my books all up to date and start afresh
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Tax
10/15/2015
UK Tax Professional: bigduckontax, Accountant replied 2 years ago
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Your only solution is to go cap in hand to HMRC, explain and file missing returns. HMRC may impose penalties and charge interest although, if no revenue is actually due, they may be lenient regarding penalties. I should warn you that leniency is in short supply in that Department.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

Thanks for your answer and i actually understand that i have to go cap in hand. I was asking for direction as to how to go about putting in all the returns etc. What i wrote was"It is the historical messy situation that concerns me. I thought of contacting the Inland revenue to come and look over my affairs, but i think i need to know where i stand from a professional first i.e. exactly how much if any i am liable for etc. I am quite capable of being instructed to compute all that is required, I just need guidance i.e. what do i do to compute everything and send in to the revenue. How do i go about this....If i got the guidance, i could do it,
Also how mfar back must one go ? I am looking at 12 - 14 years, some of which i was out of the country

As far as necessary, there is no statutory limitation to tax arrears in England, but there is a 20 year limit in Scotland.

The Inland Revenue ceased to exist some years ago on amalgamation with HM Customs and Excise to form HMRC. You could employ a trusted, local professional in this matter, but the fees would not come cheap. You should set everything up year by year and then write to HMRC at your usual tax office explaining the situation.

For your time overseas complete Form P85 ns send it to HMRC. Fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission and for the period you were out of the country you will be classified as non resident which may well relieve the tax, and penalty burden somewhat.

bigduckontax
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant