UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

I worked as an actor on a movie filmed in the USA and

Customer Question
Hello I worked as an...
Hello I worked as an actor on a movie filmed in the USA and Britain for Disney5 years ago. I payed a lot of holing tax and federal tax tyhe residuals I recieve are also subject to this tax. Can I claim it back from the USA?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Tax
10/4/2015
UK Tax Professional: bigduckontax, Accountant replied 2 years ago
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

If you are not liable to US Taxation you could approach the IRS with a view to a refund. I have always found that organisation most helpful despite their fearsome reputation.

However, you have a further problem. If you are an UK resident and spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. Thus your US earnings would be subject to UK Income Tax. However, all is not lost as the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the USA (and, indeed, with some individual states also) precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax deducted, in your case in the USA, being allowed against any UK liability. The Treaty does not protect you from differences in rates of tax, however.

I do hope that I have shed some light on your possible Situation.

STILL UNCLEAR AS TO MY POSITION. IS YOUR ANSWER CONTACT THE IRS

I have myself had dealings with the IRS and found their agents both polite and helpful.

The´Just Answer site you are using is essentially an UK tax advice forum and I responded with that limitation in mind. This is why I warned you as the the world wide income position where your UK liability would probably be met by the US tax deducted by IRS. through the medium of tax credits under the Treaty.

bigduckontax
bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant