How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3811
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked as an actor on a movie filmed in the USA and

Customer Question

Hello I worked as an actor on a movie filmed in the USA and Britain for Disney5 years ago. I payed a lot of holing tax and federal tax tyhe residuals I recieve are also subject to this tax. Can I claim it back from the USA?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

If you are not liable to US Taxation you could approach the IRS with a view to a refund. I have always found that organisation most helpful despite their fearsome reputation.

However, you have a further problem. If you are an UK resident and spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. Thus your US earnings would be subject to UK Income Tax. However, all is not lost as the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the USA (and, indeed, with some individual states also) precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax deducted, in your case in the USA, being allowed against any UK liability. The Treaty does not protect you from differences in rates of tax, however.

I do hope that I have shed some light on your possible Situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

I have myself had dealings with the IRS and found their agents both polite and helpful.

The´Just Answer site you are using is essentially an UK tax advice forum and I responded with that limitation in mind. This is why I warned you as the the world wide income position where your UK liability would probably be met by the US tax deducted by IRS. through the medium of tax credits under the Treaty.