How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4207
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received several late payments fines self

Customer Question

i have received several late payments fines for my self assessment,however i have filled this in and sent it in twice .the last time by registered post which i have a signed receipt from the post office .
the first time i was late paid the £100 pound fine and noticed my tax codes changed twice so deducted that they had recieved it and made changes .however i then got another demand for £300 and filled it in and sent it back again .by standard post
the last time i sent it in when i got a demand for £900 and done this by registered post with a copy of the previous one i sent in .
i have now received another one and after many attempts to get hold of someone was told that the fines will keep coming out as they are way behind on appeals and mine wont be dealt with until October?Even though i explained i had a reciept saying they had signed for it .
i have now had a demand come out saying i have to pay these .
how do i stop these coming out and why do they keep coming .what can happen to me .how can they collect the money they say they are owed . i have done everything asked except the first one which i paid the £100 for
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The penalty regime has fallen into disrepute following incidents like these. HMRC are supposed to be back pedaling on the penalty system.

Providing that you have met your self assessment tax return dates then no penalty is due. You must appeal against these penalties which you do by writing a letter to the relevant tax office pointing out that they art, in fact, incorrectly imposed. As your letters rise through the hierarchy in the tax office they will eventually reach someone with a rather better understanding of the taxation system that is currently being displayed. It's all just a matter of prodding away until you achieve success. I recall on one occasion no less than five letters had to be written before it was revealed that the official in the tax office had assumed that a recipient of a State Pension got the basic rate, quite oblivious, despite being repeatedly reminded, of GPCs, SERPs and State Secondary Pensions all of which were in issue!

It's all very boring and a pain in the butt, but you just have to keep whittling away at HMRC.

I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.