How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3831
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got the letter of the self Assessment: Penalties filing

Customer Question

I got the letter of the self Assessment: Penalties for late filing and late payment.
I didn't know about this system. And how can I appeal to avoid this penalties.
How should I write reasons?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist with your question.

You appeal simply by writing a letter to the tax office who sent you the Self Assessment Penalty communication. If you received a form requiring you to self assess then you must complete the SA100 and all necessary additional return forms and send to HMRC in the envelope provided. Most people, however, do not ever have to self assess and if HMRC have not required you so to do then you are only required to complete the process if you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source.

If you have a late payment then HMRC should have sent you a statement showing the amount owing and why. If this has not happened you should explain to the office which issued the letter the fact that you are not aware of any outstanding tax. HMRC have already publicly toned down their penalty regime so a well constructed letter should resolve the problem.

I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.