How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6497
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my tax liabilities if my parent gifts me an amount

Customer Question

What are my tax liabilities if my parent gifts me an amount of money, in-lieu of an inheritance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - if this is just money then you have no tax liability at all on the actual capital gifted, but if you earn money from this lump sum (such as interest from a bank or building society) then this is liable to tax. And for your parents any amount in excess of £3000 could attract Inheritance tax should they (both or either) not survive more than 7 years from the date of making the gift. Let me know if you require any further assistance on this matter Thanks Sam

Related UK Tax Questions