UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

Type Your Question Here...

Customer Question
Type Your Question Here...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2015
UK Tax Professional: Tony Tax, Tax Consultant replied 2 years ago
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Hi.
Can you tell me what you imported and from where please.
watches from China
Thanks.
Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while so please bear with me.
thanks is it possible to get some answer by 5pm?
You will have an answer by 5pm. I am answering another question posted earlier at the moment but you are next in line.
Hi again.
The answer box for the just answer portal you came through does not allow me to post hyperlinks I'm afraid.
You will need to look under the heading "The main method of calculating import value" here for methods of calculating the import value which will form part of your VAT value:
https://www.gov.uk/how-to-value-your-imports-for-customs-duty-and-trade-statistics
Take a look under the heading "Value for Import VAT" here to see what you add to the import value for VAT purposes:
You may need to complete an import declaration on form C88 as it says under the heading "Declaring an import value" here:
If you don't have to complete a C88 for import purposes, you will need to do so for VAT purposes so that you can pay it. Otherwise, the C88 you use for import duty purposes can be used for VAT purposes.
To reclaim the VAT if you are VAT registered, you will need a form C79 which will be given to you when you pay the import VAT.
Take a look at the notes here for more information on import duty and VAT, what to include in the "cost" for VAT purposes and for information on form C79:
http://www.smarta.com/advice/accounting-and-tax/vat/vat-on-imports/
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/insmanual/ins12705.htm
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi TonyThanks for this information. My main question is that this happened in Jan and should hae been done and was not? so wht should we do.Regards
All you can do is complete the documentation and submit it with your reasons for not having done it earlier. You really don't want to be ignoring import procedures.
ok just wanted to know if there was some type of disclosure rules, the net effect is zero as it would be reclaimed on the vat return.
Although the net effect will be £0, you still need to follow the procedures, as onerous as they may be.
Hi Tony
I am really sorry but your advice is incorrect. I have just come of the phone after waiting 30 minutes from HMRC Import Duties and they have said that we need to complete a CH88 voluntary declaration which is a carbonated form that they are sending me in the post.
That's not what I said.
I quote from my answer:
"You may need to complete an import declaration on form C88 as it says under the heading "Declaring an import value" here:
I then went on to say:
"If you don't have to complete a C88 for import purposes, you will need to do so for VAT purposes so that you can pay it. Otherwise, the C88 you use for import duty purposes can be used for VAT purposes."
The words "If you don't" is the relevant phrase here. Then the words "you will need to so for VAT purposes. What you don't have to do is complete the same form twice.
Tony Tax
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant