How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4094
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am British and have a property with my husband who is Indian.

Customer Question

I am British and have a property with my husband who is Indian. We have a marital propety inboth our names. He now wants to transfer the title deeed to me as a gift as he is living in India due to his job situation. Will I have to pay capital gains tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Inter spousal transfers are outside the scope of UK Capital Gains Tax (CGT). If this is, in fact, your sole or main domestic residence Private Residence Relief (PRR) applies anyway and relieves CGT at 100%. Many people do not realize that when they sell their sole or main domestic resident they are actually subject to CGT on the gain, but as PRR applies and is given automatically they never discover this.
I do hope that my answer has been of assistance to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this tax exemption apply even though he currently lives in India?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Yes the UK exemption does, but Indian taxation is outside the scope of this essentially UK tax information forum so I cannot comment thereon. Your husband must seek local, professional guidance on the matter of the application of possible Indian CGT.