How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4198
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am formulating a question regarding fiscal conventions between France-UK-Italy. The topi

Customer Question

I am formulating a question regarding fiscal conventions between France-UK-Italy. The topic I wish to discuss is double taxation.
I own property in London, which I plan to rent. I own property in France, which I rent. I live in London. I am a non-dom resident.
My plan is to move to a new property in Italy,that I plan to renovate. Will the Italian tax authority require to pay tax on my worldwide asset if I live there year round?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
In many ways the Italian Tax system mirrors the UK's, if you spend more than 183 days in any one tax year in Italy you are liable to Italian Tax on your world wide income. Here is the advice of
'One of two tests must be passed to be considered an Italian resident: a life centered in Italy, or being registered in the Population Registry as living more than 183 days a year in Italy.'
so if you reside in Italy all the year round then you will be liable to Italian Income Tax. Remember that under the Double Taxation Conventions within the EU any tax paid in one country will be allowed as a tax credit on the same income stream in another so you do not get taxed twice on the income.
I do hope that my answer has been of assistance to you.