How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12675
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have isle of man registered co 1 is

Customer Question

dear sir I have isle of man registered co 1 for example is super market building in Scotland value 1.5 million can I gift it to my son who is 23 and lives in Scotlan d I have lived in isle of man since 5 years and am a resident
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
There is no GENErAL definition of residence in Isle of Man
Individuals with a view or intention to establish residence will be treated as tax resident on the date of their arrival on the Isle of Man.
Generally an individual will be regarded as resident and taxable in the Isle of Man if at least one of the following criteria is met:
* he/she is physically present in the Isle of Man for more than six months in the tax year
* he/she is present in the Isle of Man for an average of more than 90 days in each tax year over four consecutive years.
So, as it seems you already know, you ARE considered a tax resident.
Capital gains are not taxable in the Isle of Man AND ...
the Government does not impose tax on the Benefactor or Beneficiary of a gift.
Here are a couple of good references on Isle of Man taxation:
Let me know if you have questions ...