How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13829
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently self employed as a free lance teacher/trainer

This answer was rated:

I am currently self employed as a free lance teacher/trainer for a private organisation. I am sent to a number of venues around the UK and abroad to teach and when I do this I claim tax relief on my travel expenses.

However often I teach at the organisations main office in London my question is can I claim tax relief on my travel to London or is this classed as communting where no tax relief would be possible?

Kind regards

Hi Laurence

Thanks for your question - I am Sam one of the UK tax experts on Just Answer.

I am afraid,this travel will form a normal place of work for you (despite the fact that you are a self employed freelancer) as its the main office to whom you are affiliated with,so yes, its classed as day to day commuting, so these costs are not deemed to be allowable business expenses.



Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Tax Questions