Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My Father died in Scotland. It is now over 6 months so we

My Father died in Scotland. It is now over 6 months so we are distributing his estate. Can the Tax man still appear now and query his returns. We are not even sure if he has made any in the last 2 years of his life.
Hi.

Can you tell me what sources of income your father had in recent years please. What was the value of his estate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My father had only his pension and a very small private pension. He had some savings in Building Societies on which he paid tax on his interest. His estate was only £147,196.00. (£110,000 of this came from the sale of his flat.)

Thanks.

I'm drafting a full response now.
Hi again.

It's very unlikely that the tax office will look into your late father's tax affairs now that he has apssed away. Most people don't need to complete tax returns every year as their affairs are straightforward and I suspect that was the case with your father as he only had pensions and some bank interest. If the tax office looked at the tax affairs of every adult who died it would be an unacceptable state of affairs for the relatives and keep deceased estates open longer than is necessary in most cases.

In many cases, where an individual passes away mid-tax year, a tax repayment may be due for the final tax year of their life as they will be entitled to a full year's personal allowances.

If I were you, I'd not be concerned about an HMRC enquiry and and would go ahead and distribute the estate.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.