How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxVince Your Own Question
TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 965
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
TaxVince is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in receipt of a SIP and a War Disability Pension both

This answer was rated:

I am in receipt of a SIP and a War Disability Pension both of which I have been advised are exempt from tax. My question is should either of these be declared as income when applying for Child Tax Credits. I believe that the War Pension is classed as non-declarable but not sure about the SIP.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

War Disability Pensions are frequently exempt from tax and Norcross at Blackpool, the administering authority in such matters, will so advise you if you are in doubt.

SIP is confusing me however. SIP is a communications protocol, perhaps you could enlighten me. Do you mean a SIPP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The reply I received provided no additional information that I wasn't already aware of
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SIP stands for Service Invaliding Pension. I already know that both my War Pension and SIP ARE TAX EXEMPT. My question was should they be declared as income for Child Tax Credit claim.
Your income must exceed GBP 50,000 per annum to have an effect on reducing Child Tax`Credit claim. If this is not the case by all means declare it, but make a note on the claim form to that effect.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I have paid £22 to get a definitive answer to my question. I just wanted to find out if a tax exempt War Disablement Pension and Service Invaliding Pension are regraded as income which does not need to be declared when claiming for Child Tax Credits.
HMRC guidance states that:

'Income includes money from state benefits unless they’re ‘tax free’ benefits. Tax-free benefits include:

Child Benefit
Housing Benefit
Attendance Allowance
Disability Living Allowance
Personal Independence Payment'

Thus you would appear`not to have to declare your disability and invaliding pensions on the claim form. However, if you had done so, but annotated as I suggested you would still have made a valid claim. In any event your income would have to exceed GBP 50,000 pa to begin to suffer restrictions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I would like another expert to reply to my original question
As you request I will opt out of your question. However, I feel I have given you a correct reply in this matter.
Hi. Thanks for your question.

Should you find the answer below incomplete or you are not fully answered, please drop a reply before rating.

Just to add to the previous advisor, YES both service invaliding pension and a war disability pension are tax free and hence do not need to be declared on the claim form.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Judging by your reply can I take it that any income classes as exempt from tax is not considered as income that requires submission for Child Tax Credit. I am not being pedantic but for a fee of £22 pound I would like to get a more informed reply.
This question has now reverted back to me in Vince's absence. You have now received 2 experts' opinions with the same conclusion.

Your tax exempt income does not have to be declared on the Child Tax Credit application form.

I feel this completely answers your question.
I have added direct reference from HMRC website that excludes all the incomes from Child tax credit claims - see List of Pensions and other payments EXCLUDED for tax credit purposes HERE. If not satisfied please let me know.
TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 965
Experience: Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
TaxVince and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you