How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15940
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, If someone earns £140,000 from employment in a tax year,

This answer was rated:


If someone earns £140,000 from employment in a tax year, I understand that they loss there £8105 tax free pay for the year. Should this difference be collect through the PAYE in the next tax year?


A taxpayer should really try and pre-empt the fact that they are going to earn over £118,880 which is the point at which all the personal allowance is taken away and have the tax code adjusted in the same year in which the breach will occur. However, the tax office would be quite happy to change the next tax year's code if the taxpayer contacted them.

if there is an underpayment of up to £3,000 for 2013/14, the taxpayer can ask for that to be collected through the 2015/16 tax code so long as their 2014 tax return is submitted by 30 December 2014.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,


If the under payment has happened in the 12/13 tax year can it be collect in the 14/15 tax year if tax return submitted by 30 December 2013?

Yes, so long as the total tax underpayment does not exceed £3,000 as set out here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,


I assume then, if it is over £3000.00 it will need to be paid in full by 31st January 2014 or can it be spilt in anyway?



Unfortunately, it cannot be split.

However, if the taxpayer contacts the HMRC Business Payment Support Service, they may be able to arrange an instalment plan.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help.

Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you