How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4972
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an occupational pension of about £20,000 per year all

This answer was rated:

I have an occupational pension of about £20,000 per year all my tax allowances are on this pension, I am also employed for which my salary is approximately £18,000 per year, on this I pay basic rate tax.
My question is should I be paying basic rate tax on my employment earnings
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Based on information provided, your total income from both sources adds up to £38,000.
Personal allowance for individuals up to age 64 is £9,440, leaving you with a taxable income of £28,560 after allowances.

In the tax year 2013-14 the tax band for taxable income up to £32,010 is 20%.

So the answer to your question is...
You should be paying basic rate tax on your employment earnings.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thomas, I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.