How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4985
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am non-resident sportsperson receiving a lottery grant £17k

Customer Question

I am non-resident sportsperson receiving a lottery grant £17k plus dividend from UK company which I guess is "Disregarded income".
Do I have to nevertheless declare the dividend on SA100 (along with the £17k grant as other income) even though no tax is due.
I understand I will lose my personal allowance anyway?
Also I will be submitting a paper return whereas I know the authorised software versions automatically calculate that there is no additional liability.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert: replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

The Inland Revenue will seek to tax your Lottery Award/Grant if they consider you to be a professional athlete otherwise there is no tax payable on the grant.

Non-resident individuals who are entitled to personal allowances from 6 Apr 2010 are covered in this HMRC manual RDRM10330 here

The first and most important thing to say is that when completing your tax return, you must declare all your income, including all the money you receive in your Lottery Award. You may wish to submit a copy of your Lottery Award letter with your tax return.

If you are filing a paper tax return the deadline for submission is 31 Oct 2013. HMRC will calculate your tax from the information provided on the tax return and you will receive a SA302 (Tax calculation summary) in due course.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My main concern is do I have to declare the dividend even though no further tax is due on it ?

Expert: replied 3 years ago.
John, thank you for your reply.

Dividends carry a notional tax of 10%. If you are a basic rate tax payer (taxable income up to £34,370 in tax year 2012-13), you will have no more tax to pay BUT Dividends have to be declared on the tax return.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
Expert: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John

I notice you have viewed my response to your question on whether you have to declare the dividend even though no further tax is due on it (JACUSTOMER-svupu6cj- Last Viewed on 10/16/2013 at 8:21 AM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.