How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxVince Your Own Question
TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 965
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
TaxVince is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HiI am a UK citizen currently in Australia and paying Australian

This answer was rated:


I am a UK citizen currently in Australia and paying Australian taxes

I have been offered a position in Africa that i am considering. The pay from that job would go through the UK agency who are looking at hiring me for the company who are based in Africa

I will continue to live in Australia (visitor visa - not Australian PR) and work only in Africa but the pay must go through the UK

I have been advised by the hiring Agency that i require a Limited Company or an umbrella company in order to receive my pay. Having spoken to an umbrella company, given i am not living, working or ordinarily resident in the UK, so they say they cannot take me on to their books

Does anyone know if i can form my own Limited Company under those conditions and also if i can claim back tax in such circumstances

Mant thanks in advance



I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rachel

I do require an answer to this, either from here or elsewhere. I assume if i receive no response and the question is closed that i will not be charged?



Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. In the event we are unable to find a professional for you yes the question can be closed and you will not be charged. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.



Hello again, :)

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lindie


I am happy to wait





Hi. Thanks for your question.

Should you find the answer below incomplete or you are not fully answered, please drop a reply before rating.

Why do you need a UK company or agency? Or why does the pay have to pass through UK?

Any update?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Apologies for the slow response but i am presently offshore in Australia


The Agency who is arranging the work is based in the UK and they have told me that they require it to be paid within the UK to keep themselves compliant. I think it is to ensure that it goes through the UK tax system. I am ok with that but need to know if I will be liable for tax or NIC given i shall be working and living outside the UK

I believe I can become NT for tax and therefore will not pay tax, but i am unsure about NIC



Thanks for the reply.

Firstly you are non resident and wont be individually taxed in UK as you automatically qualify for non residency under the Automatic Non Residence Test as long as you don't spend more than 91 days in UK.

In this case you wont be required to file any tax documents with the UK tax office nor are you required to pay tax in UK.

However if you set up a LTD company, a company registered in UK is tax resident in UK and hence the company will pay tax in UK at minimum 20% despite the work being done outside UK. Hence i do not see the reason for setting up a UK company.

It might be useful to get a UK tax accountant to liase directly with the UK agent to understand the full arrangement of your contract and see whats best for your case taking into account your position in Australia, how to claim any double tax that may be incurred at South Africa level. Unfortunately doesn't allow direct contact, therefore you might try other sites like HERE or simply google if you feel the need to do so - but the overall view is that you don't need a UK LTD.

Let me know if you are answered and if you have any further questions drop me a message. If sorted ,could you please rate the question before you go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply - very informative. I guess the only thing to ask is if there is an alternative to a Ltd Co


The agency are clear that they will not pay me directly. At the start they said they would pay me via an umbrella company but that is not an option for me as i will neither work nor live in the UK. Their advice was therefore to form a Ltd Co - I did hear that if I did that then I would be liable to employer tax at 13.8% on earnings over around 140 per week??

They are right in that if you set up a UK company and you are employed by a UK company, then over and above the company tax of 20%, the company will pay national insurance tax as well..

The option available to you is the umbrella company which is essentially a company that acts as an employer to you and you will then work under a fixed term contract assignment with this company- this is usually through your agent in UK. The umbrella company then processes timesheets received from you then issues an invoice to the client in South Africa for payment. The umbrella company should then comply with all the UK tax requirements for an employer like any other employer. However you being non resident means the umbrella company needs to be made aware about this and they will get a NIL code from HMRC to say you should be taxed in UK.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps. If you are not satisfied, please do NOT rate but get back to me ASAP.

Could you please rate the question. Thank you .
TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 965
Experience: Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
TaxVince and 2 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Tax Questions