UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

I have a friend who is 19 years old. She is living with her

parents. Her parents own the...
I have a friend who is 19 years old. She is living with her parents. Her parents own the house but are in difficult financial situation. Is there any where from where they can get help or she can get help in any form including housing benefit. The reason for housing benefit is that her parents will be forced to ask her to leave the property and rent out the room if they have further difficulties financially.
10/15/2013
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

For the avoidance of any doubt, from what you say do I understand correctly that she shares occupation of the home with her parents - i.e. her parents live there with her?

Customer:

Hello yes that is correct

Joshua :

What is the reason for her parents financial difficulty to know knowledge?

Customer:

The parents own the house

Customer:

They do not have any permenant source of income and are struggling with their daily expenses

Joshua :

Thanks. Unfortunately housing benefit is not available where you are living in the same home with your family. It can be available when you are renting a house which is owned by your family who do not live there too but that is not the case here from what you say.

Joshua :

Your friend or her parents may be entitled to means tested benefits dependent upon their income and assets and circumstances.

Customer:

so if she rents the whole house can she get some housing benefit?

Joshua :

There is a very good website each of them can consider using to fill in a relatively short questionnaire which will show any and all benefits that they are entitled to as a consequent of their answers:

Joshua :

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Customer:

how can my friend or her parents apply for means tested benefits?

Joshua :

If your friend were renting the house from her parents and they were not living there she may be entitled to housing benefit providing she has a proper tenancy agreement with them and rent is paid on a commercial basis and the council are satisfied that the arrangement is not a contrivance to take advantage of the benefit system.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

The website that you have mentioned does it also cover other grants and entitlements offered by the Council and the government?

Joshua :

Not entirely no as these are very specific to local area to area...

Joshua :

You can use this website to search for grants available

Joshua :

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/grants_search.aspx

Customer:

the area is KT12

Joshua :

However it is not completely comprehensive and accordingly it can be worthwhile contacting the councils benefits teams to see if there is anything else available locally that is not shown

Joshua :

The above website can be used to run a search of what is available in the area.

Customer:

I am very gratful for your kind help. Many thanks :-)

Joshua :

A pleasure. I hope their situation resolves itself for the better

Customer:

Many thanks

Joshua :

Best wishes

Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Joshua
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer