Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

How can I gift / transfer shares to my partner (not married)

How can I gift / transfer shares to my partner (not married) without being liable for CGT on the gift. Are there any rules for people living together as if they were married. For example living together for 8 years with a child. Seems people living together are penalised if not married.

HI

Thanks for your question

I totally agree with you, that unmarried couples are penalised, but I am afraid any transfer between you, will result in a capital gain position arising, unless you are married.

I am sorry the news is not more favourable.

Do feel free to ask any follow up questions, but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service I have provided (or press accept) as this ensures I am paid.

Thanks

Hi

You have rated me poor service may I ask why, as I offered you the position and also asked would you like to ask any follow up questions.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sam

It was only that you agreed with what I already knew. I was looking for options other than getting married. Like possible hold over relief etc

HI

Then you only had to expand on your question, however the capital gains reliefs however gift holdover relief only applies to business assets so this is why I did not offer this, and the other reliefs such as

If you had been entitled to anything I would have offered it to you I can assure you. It therefore be appreciated if you could revisit your previous rating.

Thanks