How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15917
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to find out what overlap relief due on cessation original

This answer was rated:

How to find out what overlap relief due on cessation original records not available

When did the business commence exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

first account1/8/86 to 31/7/87


You need to know the pre capital allowances adjusted profit for the first accounting period which started after 5 April 1996 to work out your overlap relief.

I'm afraid that if you don't have access to records and accounts as far back as 1996/97 then your only option is to call the tax office and ask if they have the figures. I've had limited success doing that. Other than that, all you can do is put in an estimate.

i hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you