How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13885
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Business Mileage Tax: I have a company car for which I pay

This answer was rated:

Business Mileage Tax:
I have a company car for which I pay the relevant BIK.
My question is regarding fuel. My company provides a fuel card which is used for all fuel purchases. Every month I advise my business & private mileage. The cost of the fuel for private mileage is deducted monthly as a proportion of the total cost of fuel for the month.
Is it possible to claim any tax relief ?



Thanks for your question

If you are making good all the private fuel costs, then your employer should not be raising a charge for fuel benefit through the P11d.


Speak with the payroll department to see if they are operating this element correctly, or ask them to contact HMRC to verify this position, so they can make sure you only get charged for the company car element.

(DO note that private mileage also should include travel to and from home)




Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you