How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15940
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has lived in a large valuable house for 35 years.

This answer was rated:

My mother has lived in a large valuable house for 35 years. She now suffers from Alzheimers disease. I would like to purchase the house and ideally build a garage block/granny annexe in the garden. Restrictive covenants means this cannot be on a separate title. If my mother was to pay full market rent for the annexe would I be caught by POAT?

I will fund this myself so as to ensure that there is no tainting of funds.

Will you be paying your mother the full market price for the house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have valuation for house and there are recent sales near by

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Assume house is worth 1.5 million. Cost to build annexe say 100k. Monthly rental 1.25k


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will do


Thank you

Hi again.

Given that you will be paying the full market value for the property which means that your mother's estate will not be diminished in any way, there can be no possibility of a charge under the pre-owned asset tax rules. There will also be no gift for Inheritance Tax purposes as there will be no element of gift. Assuming the monthly rental of £1,250 is the market rate, that effectively acts as a safety net in case of a dispute with HMRC over the price paid for the property.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify the rental value is for the annexe rather than the house which would be say 6,250.


I am therefore assuming that capital gains would be payable on the annexe based on 1250/(6250+1250) adjusted for time annexe is used


Previously Owned Asset Tax and the Gifts With Reservation Rules exist to counter "artificial" gifts made in an attempt to avoid Inheritance Tax. There will be no avoidance of IHT in your mother's case as you are paying the open market value for your mother's home so there is no element of gift which is crucial for either the POAT or GWR rules to apply. Since your mother's estate will not be reduced in value for IHT purposes, the POAT and GWR rules do not apply. There is probably no need to charge a rent for the annexe.