How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15903
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

as i am now an O.A.P. AM I entitled to a reduction in my council

Customer Question

as i am now an O.A.P. AM I entitled to a reduction in my council tax if yes how do i go about getting it done?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid that there is no discount in Council Tax simply because an individual has become an OAP. A 25% discount is available for those who live alone.

You may be entitled to Council Tax support if you are in receipt of a disability or a carer's benefit. If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit as a top up to your state pension, you may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax. You may also be entitled to help with your Council Tax if you are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings. Take a look at the notes here and here for more information.

I'm sorry I've not been able to give you some good news. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related UK Tax Questions