How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15940
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a tax calculation form saying i have underpayed

This answer was rated:

I have received a tax calculation form saying i have underpayed taxby £754.
Irang the tax office to query this and they said that my former employer ( who i still work one day a week for ) have been useing the wrong tax code.
the code on my pay slip is not the same as the one on my P60.
Should the firm be held to account for this debt?

Can you tell me which tax year this is for please. Were you working for the former employer before the start of the tax year to which the underpayment relates? When you started the job, did you hand the employer a P45 from a previous job? If not, did you your employer ask you to complete a P46? Did you have more than one job at the same time in this tax year or were you receiving a pension? What tax code was on your P60 and on your payslips?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tax year 2012 2013 i retired in jan 2012 from this firm but agreed to still work for them one day a week.

this ment i was still on the books, i had worked for them for 6 years


Tax code on P60 was 810L and on payslips it is 994L the Tax office

in Liverpool say they should be useing code BR



What other sources of income did you have in the 2012/13 tax year?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

old age pension 5 private pensions

( each with there own tax code )


Since you have pensions, one or more of these will be using your personal allowance and, therefore, your wages from your former employer should have been on a BR tax code to avoid you receiving more than tax allowance. A BR code means tax should be deducted at 20% and this should apply where your personal allowance is used fully against another source of income such as a pension.

Every taxpayer is ultimately responsible for ensuring their own taxes are in order and your former employer may not know that you are in receipt of multiple pensions. Normally, when you start a new job you would hand your new employer a P45 from a previous job and they would use the tax code on the P45. Your employer could have asked you to confirm whether you had other sources of income or asked you to complete a P46 in which you would have confirmed that you were in receipt of pensions and that form would them be sent to the tax office for tax coding instructions. I'm concerned that you may have been on the wrong tax code for tax years prior to 2012/13. You ought to call the tax office on the number here and ask them to review your tax codes and make amendments where necessary.

You could ask the tax office to investigate whether they consider your employer to be at fault but it won't make you popular with them. Take a look at the notes on employer error and PAYE here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Tony Tax and 4 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you